Hotel Casa San Agustín
This game-changing, luxury boutique bolthole in the heart of Cartagena's old town, put superior service levels and a designer flourish at the heart of a winning plan to standout from its petite Cartagena rivals.
It worked, with plaudits raining in from the like of Conde Nast Traveler and the Robb Report and regular visits from a hotlist of movers and shakers in town from New York.
Central to the colonial charm of this 17th century brewery is an up-lit, dogleg swimming pool that pierces a towering 300-year-old aqueduct to unite three elegant mansions.
Bright inside-outside public spaces throw together a lush mix of Cartagena's traditional lime-washed stucco with terracotta tiles, bright fuscia bougainvillea, swinging daybeds and hardwood Balinese carvings and other design treats shipped in from the nearby destination store, Casa Chiqui.
Beautifully preserved details such as stone gargoyles and 17th-century frescoes are enhanced by a strong collection of Renaissance paintings and more contemporary works from Cartagena's finest art gallery, NH Galeria.
Originally designed to be private residences, US designer Kelley McRorie was brought in to craft 24 rooms and six suites with a rich earthy mix of leather, wool and soft cotton furnishings.
Polished stone floors and a muted palette of sea-greens and creams dominate the subtle interiors with four-poster ironwork king-sized beds and Frette linens.
No expense was spared to ensure the fixtures and fittings match the splendour of Hotel Casa San Agustin's colonial pedigree.
Despite its historical setting, Hotel Casa San Agustin hits the required notes for contemporary comforts with HDTVs, DVD players, iPod docks and free WiFi as well as an excellent restaurant and well-equipped bar.
There's zero crimping on the restrooms as well with walk-in closets, Moorish tiles and Ortigia bath products shipped in from southern Italy.
If you're looking for a high-class place stay in a little piece of Cartagena history there's no reason to look any further.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* The hotel's stunning colonial setting provides romantic backdrop that's hard to resist
* The octopus carpaccio at Alma, one of the best in-house hotel restaurants in Cartagena
* Getting poolside and working your way through a cocktail list drawn up by master mixologist, John Lermeyer
* Booking into one of the premium rooms with their own plunge pools or jacuzzis for a little extra privacy
* Exceptional service. Unfortunately staff aren't as attentive in all Cartagena hotels
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* The pool at ground is beautiful but if your body conscious then you're better off lounging on the roof terrace or booking a suite with your own plunge pool
* You get a 10% discount on all This Is Cartagena's Tours & Experiences if you book a bed with us
* Cartagena's beaches can disappoint. For the idyllic Caribbean beach experience you will need to hire a yacht and head to the Rosario Islands
* This special price is a non-refundable rate. Please note if cancelled, modified or in case of no show, the total price of the booking will be charged
* The rates in Colombian pesos include 16% sales tax for Colombian guests. Colombians who pay at the destination and foreign citizens whose purpose of travel was not for rest or recreation, must pay 16% sales tax at the hotel at check-out time
* Rates do not include hotel insurance, which must be paid per person, per night directly at the hotel
* The Hotel charges USD 311.98 as a late cancellation penalty
* The hotel allows cancellation without charge up to 7 days before the check-in. After that period 1 night will be charged. In case of No-show or partial cancellation the whole booking may be charged.
THIS IS CARTAGENA BENEFITS
We know the city better than anyone. Our talented team of local insiders has hand picked the very best the city has to offer. From tailor-made tours andbona fide experiences to the best places to stay, eat and play in Cartagena, we've got the keys to the city.
We'll leave them under the welcome mat for you.
BUY LOCAL & UNLOCK THE CITY
We're a local company. Book with us and you get:
* Up to 30% off the best tours & experiences in Cartagena
* Exclusive deals on boat and yacht rentals
* City Concierge services. Get exactly what you want, when you want
* Table reservations at Cartagena's best restaurants
* The local lowdown on what's happening in Cartagena during your stay
* Our local knowledge at your fingertips
If you're looking for some help organizing your trip or have a question that needs answering, contact our City Concierge team: email@example.com
- Air Conditioning
- Dry cleaning
- Family rooms
- Swimming Pool
- Rooftop Terrace
- Meeting rooms
- Airport Shuttle Service
- Wheel chair access
- Free Wi-Fi
- Concierge Service
- Room service
- Lounge bar
- Safe Deposit Box