In the Cartagena vacation rental lottery, this bountiful bolthole is like hitting the jackpot.
Ironic since it was occupied in the 16th century, by Anglo-colonial crusader (the locals call him a pirate) Sir Francis Drake, who 'camped' out here after sacking the city in 1586.
A seriously handsome house with show-stopping details, Casa Higo, can only be accused of modesty in terms of the number of bedrooms - the house only has seven rooms - we'd love more.
The magnificent seven, however, are totally in keeping with a house that places quality over quantity and avoids any 'who-gets-stuck-with-this-room' scenario, an issue in other less lavish vacation rentals.
Thankfully for lucky guests at this property, the house's owners avoided the temptation to squeeze more rooms in.
Even the traditionally bland twin room offering is sexed up wonderfully with two queen beds, sleek four-poster masts and sophisticated design touches.
The smallest room practically requires a hoist up to reach the blissful bed that dominates the glorious sun-lit space. There are two split-level suites with fancy bespoke chaise longues. Need we say more?
The remaining five master suites are spacious, designer knockouts, thanks to the French owner's mother who could outdo Coco Chanel when it comes to stylish use of monochrome.
The top floor rooms are true heartbreakers, equipped with a walk-in wardrobe and jacuzzi bath - talk about having some serious Je ne sais quoi.
The emerald ground floor pool - deliciously inviting with a backdrop stonewall water feature - clashes ever so beautifully with the rest of the mansion's two-tone colour scheme.
The contrast is even greater when you are perched on the living room's balcony with the Santa Catalina de Alexandria Cathedral's burning red and orange cupola flirting outrageously in sight.
Boasting what's probably Cartagena's most insanely picturesque, baroque backdrop, the rooftop plunge pool provides the cherry on top of this pretty, Oreo-themed cake.
There's no need to think that all tropical fun is taking place outside Casa Higo's walls, there's a charismatic toucan called Francois to remind you that you’re in the middle of the Caribbean – not the French Riviera.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* The decor details only possible from a top-notch interior designer's eye.
* Who needs a bookshelf when you can shelves stocked with vintage whisky.
* The beautiful black and white photographs that showcase Cartagena's rich past.
* Being so central, in the midst of Cartagena's touristic highlights.
* Having our favourite bars and restaurants on the doorstep.
* A dining room that screams luxury banquet.
* Staff that really know how to cook and understand service.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* This 7-bedroom house is made up of 1 twin, 1 superior suite, and 5 master suites.
* This house can also be rented by the room during low season.
* Breakfast is not included.
* A bar on the second floor should be completed by mid-2016.
* Guys only groups are asked to pay for a surcharge of 20%.
THIS IS CARTAGENA BENEFITS
We know the city better than anyone. Our talented team of local insiders has hand picked the very best the city has to offer. From tailor-made tours and bona fide experiences to the best places to stay, eat and play in Cartagena, we've got the keys to the city.
We'll leave them under the welcome mat for you.
BUY LOCAL & UNLOCK THE CITY
We're a local company. Book with us and get access to exclusive TIC perks:
* Complimentary transport pick up from airport to house.
* We include a breakfast of champions in all of our house rentals
* All of our houses have 24/7 security
* Daily cleaning services free of charge *Discounts off the best tours & experiences in Cartagena.
* Complimentary upgrades on boat rental.
* City Concierge services. Get exactly what you want, when you want.
* Table reservations at Cartagena's best restaurants.
* The local lowdown on what's happening in Cartagena during your stay.
* An intoduction to the faces and places that make us smile.
* Our local knowledge at your fingertips.
If you're looking for some help organising your trip or have a question that needs answering, contact our City Concierge team: email@example.com
- Air Conditioning
- Family rooms
- Swimming Pool
- Rooftop Terrace
- Free Wi-Fi
- Concierge Service
- Room service
- Lounge bar
- Safe Deposit Box