Media Luna Hostel
Media Luna's outside sign says it's "The Real Backpackers Hostel" and if the travel brigade that congregates at its entrance is anything to go by, their Unique Selling Point is definitely working
These guys single handily spurred the Getsemani backpacker migration five years ago when they set up shop here, and the party has been going on ever since - so they can afford to be a bit cocky.
It's massive. 28 rooms split into dorms of your typical backpacker format, complete with shared bathrooms, lockers and fans. Those that have been on the trail for a while will know the drill: privates and AC cost moreblah blah blah.What will surprise you here are the super comfy, clean bedssansbugs and a kind of personal serviceandsecurity normally reserved for boutique hotel folk.
You'll have access to efficient laundry services, free Wi-Fi, bicycles, beer fridges, a huge communal kitchen, pool tables and a Mexican restaurant that can whip up cheesy quesadillas and a mean Full Moon Burrito for only a few bucks.
Let's face it. There are some things that Air BnB can't rival with, and a top atmosphere is one of them. Indeed the social vibe of Media Luna is so infectious that solo travellers will have no problems making lots of new companions to discover Cartagena with.
The wide variety of activities cater to different audiences. Yoga, poolside BBQ's and Sunday movie nights under the stars are exemplary proof of how real backpacker hostels don't do things in half, and are committed to bringing out the traveller experience to its fullest.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* The wide range of activities on offer that make it hard to leave the hostel's doors
* Raving under the stars with the whole city on a Wednesday
* Saving some much needed cash by easting in the cheap and cheerful Mexican restaurant
* Starting your Cartagena experience in the heart of the coolest neighbourhood in the city
* Having homemade meals on the outside table with fellow strangers who are as loved up on Cartagena as you are
* The large pool and enormous sun lounging area - these guys have the only hostel pool in Cartagena
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* Security is strict here and you will need a wristband to enter
* The roof only allows 100 people at a time, so get there early to avoid queuing
* You can't book rooms over the phone
* Large groups should book ahead to bag a spot in one of the dorms
* Breakfast is not included in the price of your stay
* Most activities are free for guests - but outsiders will have to pay a small backpacker-friendly fee
- Air Conditioning
- Dry cleaning
- Swimming Pool
- Rooftop Terrace
- Free Wi-Fi
- Lounge bar