Serving up rythmic mix of salsa, contemporary dance and tango as well as yoga classes, great food and open-minded company, this thriving cultural centre is the drum beating heart of Cartagena's coolest barrio.
Hosting a multitude of invigorating activities every day of the week, the cultural centre was founded by a group of young artists from diverse backgrounds who wanted to create a home for the arts where creative types could inspire each other and the city's youth.
Founded in 2011, Ciudad Movil put Getsemani on the map as the city's cultural hub, supporting a plethora of artistic endeavours designed to help Cartagena's talented youth fulfil their artistic dreams.
Daily events from the wednesday Zumba classes to the Thursday and Friday salsa sessions are hosted by Cartagena's talented artists, musicians and dancers. For full detais of what happens when check out our weekly guide to what's happening at Ciudad Movil.
Take in rehearsals by one of the city's most inspirational dance groups, Compañia Periferia, a project founded by two of the pillars of Ciudad Movil, Lobadys Perez and Dina Candela
The group produces powerful choreography that reflects on the daily reality of the city's more marginalised barrios. Other dance groups use the space to rehearse in the afternoons.
In the evening it is thrown open to the public with yoga sessions, language exchanges, movie nights and live music to provide a diverse offering that helps keep the city's cultural agenda fresh and vibrant.
The multi-faceted space also boasts the city's best independent design store, Hombro al Mico and a small art gallery. During the holidays the centre hosts art projects, drum workshops and other activities for kids.
As well as serving up a cultural smorgasbord, the menu at Ciudad Movil's Gastrolab Sur restaurant offers a well-worked fusion of southern Mediterranean cuisine blended with the healthiest Caribbean ingredients for a healthy post-Zumba, pre-concert culinary fix.
Visit Cuidad Movil and other unique cultural spaces with a local insider on our Cartagena Art Tour.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* Supporting the local arts scene by putting money straight into the pockets of the city's most creative types
* Stunning contemporary dance performances by Compañia Periferia and Afro-Danza Contemporanea every day of the week
* Hanging out with a bohemian crowd in the garden patio with a cold affordable beer
* Great music every night of the week. Live music at weekends
* A healthy eating restaurant in keeping with the cultured centre's bohemian spirit
* Keeping fit while on the move. Get to know the long-stay gringos at the regular zumba and yoga sessions
* Learning to dance salsa with the experts
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* It's hot in there. No air-conditioning just fans. Dress fresh
* This is a non-profit operation that relies on donations from the people that visit. If you like the place be generous
* The founders encourage cultural exchanges. If you've got a talent you would like to share while you are in Cartagena send them an email. firstname.lastname@example.org