La Jugada’s stock on Cartagena’s going out market flourished before the polish on the floor tiles had a chance to dry.
Everyone who was anyone - and a good a good few nobodies - wanted to wrestle their way through the intimidating doors.
The hype even reached Colombia’s most famous export, Sofia Vegara, who made an appearance here (that would later hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons) during her much-publicised stay in the city.
Yet for all the gloss, glamour and glitter La Jugada deserves an all-round applause.
It’s not just a pretty face, and has all the goods to back it up as a serious nightspot in town. A show-stopping bar with a winning cocktail list, a great sound system that rips through the whoops and screams of the jubilant crowd and a glittery dose of opulence Latinos love so much and do so well.
The 360 degree mirrored bathrooms definitely adds a new dimension to any restroom pause, and there is nothing like a salsa spin off under La Jugada’s gigantic disco balls.
The terrace is a particular triumph, when you want to escape the salsa scrum below and do a little stargazing with your new found friends.
Like all VIP hotspots, it pays to think ahead of the pack and book a table well in advance so you can slink to the front of the queue with the swagger of Jagger - who would undoubtedly make La Jugada his second home if he was ever in town.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* La Jugada’s popular playlist mean this place is always pumping
* Sipping a mojito on the terrace with your bezzies and racing downstairs to dance to your favourite song
* Warming up the night here before making your way to La Movida, La Jugada’s older sibling to finish the night off
* The mirrored bathrooms - great for seeing what your dress looks like from the back
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* Dress like an A-lister and you’ll have no trouble getting in. Leave your flip flops in your suitcase
* Drinks aren’t as pricey as New York, but the offer isn’t bargain basement either. Bring plastic
* This place is heaving on the weekends so book a table to avoid disappointment