Babar Bar Lounge
Like the well-heeled clientele that frequent this joint, Babar chooses classic over fashion fads every time.
Its winning formula of multi-genre music and smart lounge area to sample chat-up lines has been a hit for 15 years, with tourists and locals alike rating this place as one of the top clubbing hotspots in the city.
Forgoing the loud salsa colour schemes of many other nightly haunts, these guys unapologetically go for a "black is the new black" aesthetic that will take you back to those hip hop video clips of the noughties.
Black sofas and chunky tables are made for big groups, big bar orders and an even bigger dance off in the aisles leading up to the glow in the dark bar.
The luminous, spiky globes that hang above ensure you can easily scout your friends, in the crowd of 300+ people getting down to revamped versions of chart hits, both old and new.
Expect to get the best bits of a VIP clubbing experience: a smart dress code and top-notch service, but no fiddly ropes to navigate around.
Instead mingling is encouraged, and random meet and greets, undoubtedly fevered by the reasonably priced drinks on offer, means that it is not just the music that is "crossover".
If you need a bit of Dutch courage to get up and shake your tail feather, down a few of the sweet and fruity daiquiris or share a bottle of whisky between friends for $100.
When you are a little hot under the collar, grab some fresh air in the pretty outside patio where the twinkly marble mobile offsets the thumping beats inside.
Leave with a social butterfly sensation that will outlast your next-day hangover.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* The short but sweet list of cocktails that hit the spot
* A dreamy club location in one of the top spots of the city
* One of the only clubs that refuses to cram its guests like sardines so you can move around comfortably
* Getting a glimpse of how Cartagena's rich kids roll
* The chance to chat with some locals and make new friends
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* Dress smart or expect to be turned away at the door (absolutely no flip-flops or shorts)
* This place caters for those who actually remember what it was like to party in 1989. So spring chickens looking for house and electro music should look elsewhere
* They play music that will please the masses - but maybe not your too-cool-for-school-underground-beat loving friend