Ideally located in the historical centre, rubbing shoulders with some very nice culinary neighbors (and coincidently, our head office) Piccolo is the tasty anecdote to our lazy bone and lunchtime cravings.
The grand terrace, attached to one of Cartagena's landmark churches makes a beautifully romantic backdrop to any casual lunch or dinner, lifting it from the doldrums of an average lunchtime pick-me-up to a mighty Italian feast.
Follow our lead and kick things off with warm tomato soup capped with a crusty cheese loaf, before tucking into one of their hearty pastas, salads and of course, their famous pizzas: made with more heart than Pizza Hut, less GM products than Domino’s and imbued with the fading soul of an Italian ancestor.
Here, each dish is made fresh to order, using a tapestry of ingredients that might surprise the fast food hunter accustomed to an E-number sugary fast food hook up.
Do you normally arrange slithers of avocado on your pizza? We didn't either, until we got totally hooked on their signature pizza, La Colombiana, a winning combination of chorizo, sweet corn and the secret, avocado.
Apart from a few unique options (salmon and artichokes for instance) Piccolo keep loyal to your all time favorite pizza gems, so family holidaymakers afraid of all those strange fish and fruit concoctions in other Caribbean joints will well and truly light up when they glance at dishes they can actually pronounce.
After you've stocked up on your monthly savory carb allowance, there’s a nice selection of deserts to please a sweet tooth.
The passion fruit cheesecake has a local feel and homely taste to it and although it's not gourmet, its fluffy texture and exotic twang is far more superior to the melting Mars bar you have floating around your handbag.
After three stealthy courses you're left with a full stomach, sloppy grin and probably a fresh tomato stain on your shirt. Happy days!
Special TIC Offer: Get 2 for 1 on any ice cream (monday-friday, all day) when you show a screenshot of this page. Offer available until 24/12/16.
THIS IS WHAT WE LOVE
* Fast food with a gourmet touch – we could eat their Colombiana signature pizza everyday
* Proper table service that you would expect to find in a posh white-tabled joint
* Feeling like the pizza king of the castle when you are sitting on their grand terrace
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* Some meal descriptions are a bit misleading. The blue cheese in the Pizza Azul comes out of the tube for instance.
* There is a well stocked bar offering beers, wines and spirits if you fancy a cheeky tipple with your meal
* The inside restaurant is pleasant and fresh, but we recommend upgrading your meal to their dreamy terrace inside the Toribio building
* There are two Piccolo branches in Cartagena. One in the historical centre and another one in Bocagrande